Saturday, October 25, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Bronx Boy, 4, Killed After Gunfire Erupts At Basketball Game

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Bronx Boy, 4, Killed After Gunfire Erupts At Basketball Game
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A Bronx community rallied Monday after a young boy was shot and killed Sunday at the end of a basketball tournament.

The New York City Police Department says officers responded to calls of shots fired around 9:30 p.m. inside a playground area at the Forest Houses on 165th Street in Morrisania.

Police found Lloyd Morgan, 4, shot in the head and a 27-year-old man shot in the midsection.

Both were taken to Lincoln Hospital where the boy was pronounced dead.

"I really feel like this is senseless. My son was 4 years old. He just turned 4 this May that just passed. He was going to school in September. He hasn't gotten to live his life yet," said the boy's mother, Shianne Norman.

The shooting happened right after a basketball tournament, and the boy was hit at a playground next to the courts.

"We're going to it that by whatever means, that these individuals who did this shooting, are going to pay the price of the life of this 4-year-old in this community," said State Assemblyman Eric Stevenson.

"There's been an upsurge in violence in our communities. These young kids don't have the respect that we always had. Unfortunately, they have never involved kids. This is a new low," said one resident.

NY1 spoke with the young boy's father, whose name is also Lloyd Morgan but he did not want to go on camera.

He said Lloyd was his second child and the second child he lost. Morgan's ex-girlfriend killed their newborn baby shortly after giving birth and then hid the baby's body in a closet.

She pleaded guilty and was recently released from prison.

Morgan said he can't believe he is going through such a devastating loss again.

Meanwhile, the condition of the 27-year-old man who was shot is described as stable.

A third victim, a 21-year-old man, went to Saint Barnabus with a gunshot wound to his arm.

So far, no arrests have been made.

Law enforcement officials told NY1 that they are looking for possibly two suspects in the shooting.

Sources said one of the suspects may go by the nickname "Spidey."

Law enforcement sources said there is a possibility that three guns were used in the shooting.

Anyone with information on the case should contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS, or text CRIMES and then enter TIP577, or visit www.nypdcrimestoppers.com.

10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 23.22.173.58, 23.62.6.63 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP