Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Alert

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Man Charged As Police Continue Search For Second Brooklyn Sexual Assault Suspect

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Man Charged As Police Continue Search For Second Brooklyn Sexual Assault Suspect
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Although one suspect was charged with sexual assault Thursday, police continued to search for another man who they believe may be behind several attacks in Brooklyn, and many area women said they continue to feel insecure in their own neighborhoods. NY1’s Dean Meminger filed the following report.

On the streets of Park Slope, Brooklyn, many women have lost their sense of security.

"I never used to worry about walking around here because it is such a safe neighborhood, now absolutely I don't walk alone after dark anymore, which it is sad," said one resident.

The worries are present despite police arresting one man earlier this week.

On Thursday, Adolfo Martinez was arraigned and officially charged with sexual abuse and forcible touching in connection with an attack on a woman Monday.

“He made generalized statements that he, quote, he enjoys this type of activity. He’s made statements about previous encounters. The investigation is going forward,” said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

The commissioner said police think there is more than one man involved in the pattern of 13 sexual attacks since March in areas in and around Park Slope, Windsor Terrace and Sunset Park.

Police officials released a sketch of one of the men they’re looking for. He's described as being in his early 20s, about 5-feet-4 with a medium build and a mole on the left side of his neck.

He was wearing a dark blue shirt with a graphic design on the front during an attack on Sunday night near Vanderbilt Street in Windsor Terrace.

"This is our area, our neighborhood. It is disconcerting to find so many of these attacks taking place in the area, and I have two daughters, too," said one resident.

Officials continue to urge women and girls to use their street smarts and keep an eye out, but not everyone is concerned.

One Brooklyn woman said she is not changing her habits because she is not afraid.

"I mean, to tell you the truth, I am not that worried. I think I can defend myself, hopefully," said the woman.

She did say she hopes it doesn’t come to that.

Anyone with information on the case should contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS, or text CRIMES and then enter TIP577, or visit www.nypdcrimestoppers.com.

10.11.12.247 ClientIP: 107.22.70.215, 23.62.6.93 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP